University of Arizona Admission Deferment Policy (Change of Start Term)
The University of Arizona (UA) Office of Undergraduate Admissions understands that extenuating circumstances can occur and prevent a newly admitted student from pursuing their intended course of study during the semester for which they applied. While UA does not defer admissions, nor scholarships, UA will assist students in re-applying for admission and scholarships. To help make the process be as seamless as possible, please follow the steps below.
The requests are subject to review for possible approval to change their start term from the Office of Admissions.
DEADLINE is the business day prior to the start of classes.
- Please note, you have 30 days to complete your request.
UA invites students who fall into one of these circumstances to submit a request. Please review the following to see if you are eligible to make this request:
- If you will be attending another post secondary institution prior to your enrollment at UA, you will NOT be eligible to complete the request form.
- Steps you will need to follow to re-apply:
- Submit new application
- If you attended New Student Orientation and paid your enrollment fee you are responsible for attending orientation again and paying the enrollment fee.
- Submit official transcripts (8th semester high school transcripts and all additional institutions attended)
- If your reason is due to medical, military, faith-based mission, youth exchange student program,
or other extenuating circumstances, you may proceed to the following if you understand the terms and conditions:
- Complete the request form; you will need to use your UA Future account login to access this form.
- ALERT: Please have your documentation ready to upload. If you have any questions, please contact the Change of Start Term Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will need to provide official documentation.
- A UA representative will be in contact with you.
- All students are required to submit a new application (UA does not defer admissions; there is no ‘roll-over’ of an application).
- Once your request has been reviewed, you will be contacted.
- If your request is approved:
- You will submit a new application
- Your application fee will be waived
- Admissions will be based on the re-calculation and re-evaluation of the GPA of 8th Semester high school transcript. (It is not standard policy to consider 'gap year' applicants for scholarships.)
- UA’s scholarships awards change year-to-year. Therefore if you were initially offered a scholarship, UA is unable to guarantee the same amount for your new start term.
- If you need to make additional changes to your Change of Start Term application, it is your responsibility to provide additional documentation to the committee.
NOTE: In some circumstances, students have the option to attend one semester at UA before their absence from UA. By doing this, the student can complete a Scholarship Deferment Form through the Scholarship Office. This would secure the scholarship if the student meets the Terms & Conditions (GPA and units) at the end of attended/enrolled semester.